Sunday, November 8, 2009

Mmmm..... Relish!

We're off to a surprise birthday party tonight for our friend Matt.

As soon as we got the invite I knew what I had to make for his Birthday pressie............ Matt just loves my tomato relish and has been known to eat it straight from the jar with a spoon, lol!

So..... I got busy and made him a nice batch of relish and some rocky-road to go with it......another of his favourites! I forgot to photograph the rocky-road, so will save that recipe for another time.

The Relish recipe is an old one given to me by my Mother-in-law:

Ingredients:

  • 6lb (2.7kg) Tomatoes
  • 4lb (1.8kg) Onions
  • 1.5 pts (900ml) Brown Vinegar
  • 1tbsp Curry Powder
  • 1.5 tsp Mustard Powder
  • 1.5 lb (680g) Sugar
  • Pinch Cayene Pepper
  • Salt (about half a cup)
  • 1 tbsp Flour (I use cornflour to thicken instead and i use more than 1 tbsp as i don't like my relish too runny)

Method:

  • Cut tomatoes and onions and place in a large stainless steel boiler, cover with salt and let stand over night.
  • Drain tomato and onion then rinse and return to boiler with all other ingredients except flour.
  • Cook until onion is transparent then thicken with flour to your liking.
  • Pour into sterilised jars and seal while still hot.

NB: I find it's tastier after it's been bottled for a week or so!

Enjoy!


1 comment:

  1. Oh, this sounds so yummy! I'll have to try it someday - recipe saved ;o)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comments...... It's nice to know i'm not just talking to myself!