After receiving my beautiful cake stand yesterday for Mothers Day..... I just had to bake something yummy to sit on it and look pretty! How good does this look??? You can only ever eat the smallest amount as it's just so rich, much to the delight of my workmates who got to finish it off today!
250g Butter, Chopped
150g Dark Chocolate, Chopped Coarsely
2 Cups (440g) Caster Sugar
1 Cup (250ml) Hot Water
1/3 Cup (80ml) Tia Maria / Kahlua or Baileys (I use Baileys)
1 Tbsp Instant Coffee Powder
1 ½ Cups (225g) Plain Flour
¼ Cup (35g) S.R. Flour
½ Cup (25g) Cocoa Powder
· Preheat oven to moderately slow (160oC).
· Grease a deep 20cm round cake pan and line base and sides with baking paper.
· Combine butter, chocolate, sugar, hot water, liqueur and coffee powder in a medium saucepan & stir over low heat until chocolate is melted – Transfer to a large bowl and let cool.
· Stir in sifted flours and cocoa, then eggs, one at a time.
· Pour mixture into a prepared pan
· Bake in a moderately slow oven for 1½ hours.
· Stand cake for 30 minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool.
I finished mine off with some chocolate ganache icing, a handful of Malteasers and a dusting of icing sugar!
Until next time