Sunday, October 23, 2011

Re-upholstery success!

I've been wanting to attempt to re-cover our old lounge for a while now and finally took the plunge yesterday. I'm pleased to say that the project was a success and I can now go and buy more fabric for the remaining two lounge chairs.... I wasn't game enough to do so initially just in case I couldn't manage it and I wasted money on all that fabric!

This is what I started with...... our poor old lounge had seen better days!
Please ignore that state of our lawn.... hubby has thankfully gone off to fix our mower this morning!

And here she and improved!
I used a fairly heavy weight fabric which is almost like a canvas as I'm going to use them on our back deck and make a sort of outside room.... just have to save up for some bistro blinds now!

No mistakes hiding under the cushion either!

And this is why my fingers are sore today..... so many staples to remove!

Once my fingers recover.... I'll do the remaining single chair before I tackle the two-seater!

Until next time.....

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Custom order finished!

I've managed to get the cute little Charm Square quilt I was working on finished and ready to pop in the post...... I hope the recipients love it as much as I do! I really do have a thing for the Verna fabric fresh and pretty!

Complete with yellow polka dot backing, a striped bind and my own little label
designed by my very clever sister....shame I often forget to use them!

When I first made one of these I used the Charm square baby quilt tutorial from Moda Bake Shop Sew Mama Sew but enlarged it so that it was a better sized quilt. If you would like the measurements etc, please let me know!

Amended 05/08/12 - my apologies for the incorrect tutorial information
You can find instructions for the changes I made and the correct links here.

Until next time....

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Custom order!

A while ago I made a little quilt for some dear friends when they had their first baby..... they loved it so much that they've now asked me to make one as a gift for a special friend of theirs who has just had a baby girl!

I don't usually do custom orders but I really enjoy making these little charm square quilts.... and when Kelly chose Verna as her fabric choice, I just knew it was going to be gorgeous and lots of fun to make:
The top is all together..... 
I just have to hand-stitch the applique before it's ready for quilting!

Until next time.......

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

"unfun" versus "fun" sewing

I spent a whole day last week sewing and don't have a single interesting pic to show for it..... I seriously loathe mending and alterations of any kind although it feels really good to have all these annoying little fixes done and out of the way!

This is what I did:
1) Mended Mother-in-laws sheets (Seriously?? who mends sheets??)
2) Mended Father-in-laws trousers - one of the few people I volunteer to mend for.... he really is a keeper!
3) Mended a cap for my friend Cath - This was in a bag of things she gave me around 12 months ago (could be longer) for mending and given how long it's taken me to get to the bag she probably wont ask me again (Should I be smiling at that thought?)
4) Mended a Top for one of Cath's girls
5) Mended a plastic covered pool bag for Cath
6) Looked at the denim skirt of Cath's and shoved it back in the bag unmended (hoped figured her girls would have outgrown it by now anyway)
7) Cut off and hemmed two top sheets that have always been too wide and dragged on the floor.
8) Hemmed the curtains in my bedroom that have been hanging with pins in them for about 2 years now.
9) Hemmed two sets of Curtains in master 9's room that have been hanging with pins in the bottoms for even longer than mine - he has FINALLY stopped nagging me! :)
10) And finally, I mended a dress - belonging to Miss 12 and I'm pleased to say that it still fits!

Then on Monday I moved on to some fun sewing and managed to get this little quilt top together:

Such pretty/girly fabrics
I have no idea what the fabric range is as the quilt was started by my Aunty Lin before she passed away last year.  Lin had most of the coloured blocks together but there weren't any instructions to follow so I hope she would approve of what I did with it. I tried to use up as much of the fabric as I could while still leaving enough to do a pieced bind. So now I just have to find some backing and I can send it off to be quilted before returning it to Uncle Ron for one of their Grandaughters!

Until next time....