As soon as we got the invite I knew what I had to make for his Birthday pressie............ Matt just loves my tomato relish and has been known to eat it straight from the jar with a spoon, lol!
So..... I got busy and made him a nice batch of relish and some rocky-road to go with it......another of his favourites! I forgot to photograph the rocky-road, so will save that recipe for another time.
The Relish recipe is an old one given to me by my Mother-in-law:
- 6lb (2.7kg) Tomatoes
- 4lb (1.8kg) Onions
- 1.5 pts (900ml) Brown Vinegar
- 1tbsp Curry Powder
- 1.5 tsp Mustard Powder
- 1.5 lb (680g) Sugar
- Pinch Cayene Pepper
- Salt (about half a cup)
- 1 tbsp Flour (I use cornflour to thicken instead and i use more than 1 tbsp as i don't like my relish too runny)
- Cut tomatoes and onions and place in a large stainless steel boiler, cover with salt and let stand over night.
- Drain tomato and onion then rinse and return to boiler with all other ingredients except flour.
- Cook until onion is transparent then thicken with flour to your liking.
- Pour into sterilised jars and seal while still hot.
NB: I find it's tastier after it's been bottled for a week or so!